St. Mark’s lector ministry assists in positively transforming the members
of the body of Christ through prayerfully proclaiming God’s
Holy Word; the Lord actually speaks through us.
Welcome to the St. Mark’s Catholic Community lector’s web page, designed to serve you as an inquirer, an aspiring, current or past lector – or someone who just wants to look at the page.
At St. Mark’s, lectors are practicing Catholics, members of the St. Mark’s community who experience a call to proclaim God’s Word. We are committed to our liturgical role in the weekly and special celebrations of the Mass. We recognize that this is not a job; it is not public speaking or oration – it’s a sacred opportunity to let the Holy Spirit work through us as we gather in community to glorify God.
We hope to keep this site current with information about our ministry, events, training, and interesting articles pertinent to the service we provide.
Helpful suggestions, comments or questions are always appreciated.
Ann Cronin, Lector Coordinator
Dress to Serve - Linked on this page
Liturgy Calendar - Linked on this page
A Bit of History:
Did you know that, while proclaiming the Word through shared readings at gatherings of the faithful is an ancient practice of the early Church, the lector ministry is fairly young, restored by Pope Paul the VI in the apostolic letter “Ministeria Quaedam” in 1972?
He wrote of the reader and acolyte functions that these ministries “may be committed to lay Christians; hence they are no longer reserved to candidates for the sacrament of orders.”
I hope that gives you a sense of the holiness of our charge as proclaimers of the Word of God; this is a function formerly reserved to those studying for Holy orders, that has been “committed” into our hands. We have been commissioned to carry out this integral part of the Liturgy.
St. Mark’s Lector Core Values
In recognition that the lector ministry is an integral part of the Catholic liturgy, the St. Mark’s lector ministry adopts and conforms to these core values.
Commitment to the Church:
- We are Catholic Christians who attend Mass regularly, are active in prayer and service, and model to the best of our abilities the doctrines of the Roman Catholic faith.
Commitment to our Parish:
- We observe the norms of dress and conduct set forth by St. Mark’s ministry heads for all who serve in liturgical ministries.
Commitment to the Liturgy:
- We join our community in participating fully in the Liturgies of Word and the Eucharist.
- We desire our presence to support and reinforce the sanctity of the Liturgy.
Commitment to our Ministry:
- We prepare completely for our readings – reading and praying over both scripture passages for our assigned Masses.
- We invite and surrender to the working of the Holy Spirit within and through us.
- We arrive early to our assigned Masses to further prepare and pray.
- We proclaim the Word of God clearly, reverently, and without distractions.
- We participate in meetings and training for the vitality of our ministry.