St. Mark’s lector ministry assists in positively transforming the members
of the body of Christ through prayerfully proclaiming God’s
Holy Word; the Lord actually speaks through us.
Welcome to the St. Mark’s Catholic Community lector’s web page, designed to serve you as an inquirer, an aspiring, current or past lector – or someone who just wants to look at the page.
At St. Mark’s, lectors are practicing Catholics, members of the St. Mark’s community who experience a call to proclaim God’s Word. We are committed to our liturgical role in the weekly and special celebrations of the Mass. We recognize that this is not a job; it is not public speaking or oration – it’s a sacred opportunity to let the Holy Spirit work through us as we gather in community to glorify God.
We hope to keep this site current with information about our ministry, events, training, and interesting articles pertinent to the service we provide.
Helpful suggestions, comments or questions are always appreciated.
Ann Cronin, Lector Coordinator
Reflections on the Lector Ministry
The St. Mark’s lector ministry mission statement at the top of this page was generated from a collaborative effort within the ministry. We first considered the St. Mark’s mission statement:
“As members of his body, we come together and are transformed through the word of God, the Mass, the sacraments and prayer. We go forth into the world sharing the love of Christ.”
To create a ministry mission statement, we reflected on what it is that lectors actually do within the Liturgy of the Word and sought to tie it to the parish mission. Some reflections follow.
- “As Lectors, through the grace of the Holy Spirit we proclaim the Word of God to the body of Christ, strengthening each of us individually and together on our spiritual journey.”
- “Loudly and clearly proclaiming the Word of God.”
- “St. Mark's lector ministry is the glowing truth of God's holy scripture using each of us with our talents tuned and sharpened to provide all God's children with cogent, meaningful understanding of the joy in every word. The presentation of these scripture readings mandates careful preparation every time we read. The Lord actually speaks through us.”
- “Lectors are humble instruments used by God because He "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Tim 2:4), that is Christ Jesus (CCC 74).”
- “As a living member of St. Mark's Catholic Community, the lector community member is to proclaim the Living Word to the Community, that is to be heard and to be expressed as the authors intended. Thorough understanding of the readings is essential, and they must be read in a tone and volume for all to hear.”
- “St. Mark's lector ministry assists in positively transforming the members of the body of Christ through proclaiming God's holy word.”
Lectors considered all submittals, and through a vote created and selected a statement containing many elements of these reflections.
While we can have only one “official” mission statement, all thoughts shared are windows into the collective commitment and values of the St. Mark's lector ministry.
St. Mark’s Lector Core Values
In recognition that the lector ministry is an integral part of the Catholic liturgy, the St. Mark’s lector ministry adopts and conforms to these core values.
Commitment to the Church:
- We are Catholic Christians who attend Mass regularly, are active in prayer and service, and model to the best of our abilities the doctrines of the Roman Catholic faith.
Commitment to our Parish:
- We observe the norms of dress and conduct set forth by St. Mark’s ministry heads for all who serve in liturgical ministries.
Commitment to the Liturgy:
- We join our community in participating fully in the Liturgies of Word and the Eucharist.
- We desire our presence to support and reinforce the sanctity of the Liturgy.
Commitment to our Ministry:
- We prepare completely for our readings – reading and praying over both scripture passages for our assigned Masses.
- We invite and surrender to the working of the Holy Spirit within and through us.
- We arrive early to our assigned Masses to further prepare and pray.
- We proclaim the Word of God clearly, reverently, and without distractions.
We participate in meetings and training for the vitality of our ministry.
St. Mark’s Lector Shepherds
What is a lector shepherd?
St. Mark’s lector shepherds are current lectors who additionally support and assist lectors at each Mass, on a rotating basis. Typically, there are two lector shepherds assigned to each Mass to assist with any scheduling conflicts, unavoidable absences or any problems that might develop.
Lector shepherds’ service includes:
- prepare for both readings for the Mass assigned and arrive fifteen minutes prior to the scheduled service;
- check the names of those assigned to serve and watch for their arrival;
- check the readings at the ambo and, if necessary, confer with the sacristan if there are any changes;
- serve in the place of an absent lector;
- mentor new lectors at the assigned Mass;
- other assistance as needed by any lector or by the ministry coordinator.
If you are a current lector, would you also like to serve occasionally as a lector shepherd? Why not prayerfully consider expanding your ministry in this way?
Read the Lector Introduction PDF